This is one of my favorite cookies! My friends would agree I am a lemon flavor freak. There’s just something that’s so refreshing when lemon is added to just about anything.
These cookies are packed with a lemony flavor! Not only are these lemon cookies incredibly soft and delicious, but they’re also easy to make with a few simple ingredients!
I first came up with this recipe because just like me my dad loves that lemony flavor. He also is one of my biggest fans when it comes to my cookies, actually he’s probably my biggest fan in everything I do. To create this recipe, I took my butter sugar cookie recipe and switched a few things up to give it that burst of lemon.
Here’s a couple lemon tips:
- I recommend zesting the lemon first, then juicing it.
- Use a zester or Microplane grater to scrape off tiny bits of peel, but beware! The spongy white layer underneath the peel, also known as pith, is very bitter, so avoid grating down too far.
- To get the most lemon juice out of your lemon, roll it on the counter firmly with your hand, then cut it in half, and squeeze out the juice.
Let me give you some advice. Run, don’t walk to your kitchen. Make these cookies today!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 & 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp, about ½ a lemon, lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 whole lemon
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Lemon zest for topping
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and lemon zest with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes.
Add in the vanilla extract, lemon juice and egg, beat again to combine.
In another bowl, whisk together all your dry ingredients. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, mixing by hand with a spatula until combined.
Use a cookie scoop to form balls, place the cookies 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the edges have a faint golden color.
Allow the cookies to cool a cooling rack. Cool completely before adding the glaze.
Make the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar with the lemon juice, salt and cream until smooth.
Once the cookies are cool, dip the tops in the glaze by turning time upside down and gently lift them out, turn them over and return them to the cooking rack or a sheet of parchment.
Sprinkle lemon zest over the top and let dry.