I love when my friends text me pictures of the food they have made! This morning, my friend Adam texted Brian and I a picture of his breakfast and in his words, “Cloud Eggs. Holy ****! Delicious.”
Since I was trying to decide what I should eat for breakfast, I decided to give it a try and Adam was right, DELICIOUS!
Cloud Eggs are egg whites whipped to stiff peaks, seasoning folded in, formed into nests, baked with yolk in the center and covered with shredded cheese.
All you need are 3 ingredients—egg, seasoning of your choice, and cheese. Per Adam’s recommendation, I used Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel seasoning!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Make sure there are no little pieces of egg yolk in the whites or you will have difficulty getting the whites to beat properly. I find it is easiest to crack the whole egg into a bowl and then using your hand, pull the yolk out and place in a separate bowl.
Place the egg whites in a mixing bowl. Beat the egg whites with a whisk attachment in a mixer (or using a hand mixer), starting on low speed and then slowly increasing to high speed, until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold in the seasoning, making sure not to deflate the peaks.
Spoon two mounds of the egg white mixture on the lined baking sheet. Form the mounds so they look like nests, using the back of a spoon create an indent in the middle of the mound. Carefully, pour the yolk into the center of the indent and sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
Bake for 7 minutes.
INGREDIENTS (per serving)
- ¼ teaspoon seasoning of your choice
- 2 egg whites
- 2 yolks
- 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks
- Whips the egg whites until stiff peaks form
- Gently fold in the seasonings of your choice
- Spoon one portion of the egg whites onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Use the back of the spoon to create an indent in the middle of the egg white “cloud”.
- Repeat for additional servings.
- Gently place an egg yolk into each egg white “cloud” indentation.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
Please comment, if you tried a different seasoning. The possibilities are endless!